For any organization, the database is developed and maintained by a professional known as a database developer.
A database developer can become a key person of any organization by providing his /her services related to database management and database security. That’s why it is a good carrier option.
A database developer is a good job profile in terms of earning handsome amount of money and job security.
But this job profile comprises great sense of responsibilities and duties.
So, one should be familiar with all such aspects related to the job profile of a database developers.
If you want to build a carrier in the field of computer, There are several options such as
- Network Administration
- Database Development/Administration
For any organization, database is developed and maintained by a professional known as database developer.
1.What is database?
- It is a collection of logically related fields(columns) is known as a record.
- The collection of records is known as Table.
- So Collection of Table is known as Database.
There is a need of an efficient and accurate system to create and manage(record insertion/deletion/editing) the database. This system is called (database management system)DBMS.
Database developer is a person who uses DBMS to meet out the organization’s requirement regarding data/records by creating/maintaining database.
2. Database development and duties
Database development means creation of database after the deep analysis of company’s requirement for the data to full fill following requirements.
now a days data and information has become a valuable asset for a company. a proper data analysis provides very useful information and this information can be used in
- decision making
- taking corrective actions for business improvements.
- designing new business strategies
- making business predictions.
- the database is used to store information in computer systems.
human memory is limited, but the storage capacity of computer system is vast systems, based on artificial intelligent uses much more information to take decisions.
expert systems also uses the database to store some data and intermediate results to give the final output. so there should be a system which can manage the storage and retrieval of data for expert system.
there is a very popular term in the business world.the term is “Data Science” and it means deep analysis of data to extract useful information and making predictions.
2.2 Performance Tuning
database performance tuning means to maximize the resource utilization.
so that result of SQL query execution can be obtain very fast with database consistency, integrity, and so on.
it is a broad term and include the optimization of both hardware and software, and importantly
- Main memory
- Secondary memory
optimization of Main memory/Secondary means to minimize the effect of memory fragmentation.
proper use of RAID(Redundant Array of inexpensive disk).
2.2.1 Key Factors in Performance Tuning
- The creation of table should follow the normalization. All the tables should be normalized as far as possible.
- Use of Index:- index should be used(if there is plenty of search operations), it makes the record retrieval fast.
- Number to character conversion should be avoided as far as possible because it degrades the performance.
- Instead of fetching all the fields of the record, fetch only required fields. try to avoid the use of retrieval symbol * in SELECT queries(if possible).
- Try to use procedures.
2.3 Knowledge of more than one type of DBMS
Database developers should have the knowledge of several DBMS, because there may be a situation when a company wants to convert its database from the existing system to a new system.
Database developer should also be familiar with following .
- Security Techniques
- BackUp & Recovery Techniques
Security of database means-
- Security of computer network(for web based system).
- Physical security of Computer resources.
- Application Software security .
- Security of access rights of authorized persons .
- To prevent Denial of Service attack.
- security by encryption.
In simple words security is required at every level.
2.5 Development of database documentation
- Proper documentation is developed by the database developer.
- A manual about the database is required to operate and use the database.
- This manual can also be used to troubleshoot problems related to the database.
- This manual is also used to make improvements in the database.
3. Database development is a good carrier option
Database is a backbone of Information System.
Now a days information has become a valuable asset for organizations. so there is a need of modern information system.
information system is a software with following features.
- Storage of data/information
- processing of data/information.
- retrieval of information on time.
- report generation.
The business of any organization is heavily dependent on Data. that’s why database developers have been always in demand.
4. Educational requirement to became a database developer
Database administrators need at least a bachelor’s degree in information science or computer science for most entry-level positions.
Depending on the size and complexity of their company or governing body, these professionals may need a master’s degree in database administration or information technology.
The top respondents for the job title Database Administrator (DBA) are from the companies Tata Consultancy Services Limited, HCL Technologies Ltd. and IBM India Private Limited.
Reported salaries are highest at HCL Technologies Ltd. where the average pay is ₹800,000 approx.
Other companies that offer high salaries for this role include Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp and IBM India Private Limited, earning around ₹750,000 approx and ₹540,000 approx, respectively.
Accenture pays the lowest at around ₹449,786 approx.
Infosys Limited and Tata Consultancy Services Limited also pay on the lower end of the scale, paying ₹485,925approx and ₹511,347 approx, respectively.
After the analysis of all the above aspects, we can say that it is a good deal to spend your time and efforts to become a database developer.
Database developer will be in demand in every age of IT industry because the need of data and information can never be eliminated.
for more technical article click on the link