- Java language developed by company Sun Microsystems and creator is Jamesh Gosling.
Story behind development of Java
- Sun Microsystems Started by group of the students who are studding in Standard University. These people found the problem in their room with electronic consumable remote. That means one electronic consumable control is not worked on another electronics consumable. These people want to develop a common remote control which is controlling all the electronic consumables so they contact James Gosling and requested for the projects. Sun Microsystems started by group of students out of them one person also Indian whose name Vinode Khosla.
- James Gosling and his team members given the project name as Green started in the year 1990 and common remote control completed in the year 1992.
- The James Gosling team develop a new language called as OAK But this name is already selected by some other company renamed as Java but java has no meaning representation of Island in Indonesia. The unofficial abbreviation of java is Just another virtual analyzer (JAVA).
QUE:-Why Oak name for java language?
ANS-:Why Oak? Oak is a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A.,France, Germany, Romania etc.
QUE:-Why Java name for java language?
ANS-:Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (called java coffee).
|Vendor||Sun Micro System|
|Project name||Green Project|
|Type||open source & free software|
|Extensions||.java & .class & .jar|
|Initial version||jdk 1.0 (java development kit)|
|Present version||java 8|
|Operating System||multi Operating System|
|Implementation Lang||c, cpp……|
|Symbol||coffee cup with saucer|
|SUN||Stanford Universally Network|
|Slogan/Motto||WORA (write once run anywhere)|
- Developed by James Gosling at Sun Micro Systems in 1996 used to develop particular for client-server web applications. Now it is merged into Oracle Corporation.
Java Version History
Now a day 8 versions of java are released, which is listed below with realizing date.
- JDK Alpha and Beta (1995)
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)
- J2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)
- Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)
- Java SE 8 (18th March, 2014)
Overview of Java
- Java is one of the programming language or technology used for developing web applications. Java language developed at SUN Micro Systems in the year 1995 under the guidance of James Gosling and there team. Originally SUN Micro Systems is one of the Academic university (Standford University Network)
- Whatever the software developed in the year 1990, SUN Micro Systems has released on the name of oak, which is original name of java (scientifically oak is one of the tree name). The OAK has taken 18 months to develop.
- The oak is unable to fulfill all requirements of the industry. So James Gosling again reviews this oak and released with the name of java in the year 1995. Scientifically java is one of the coffee seed name.
Java divided into three categories, they are
- J2SE (Java 2 Standard Edition)
- J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition)
- J2ME (Java 2 Micro or Mobile Edition)
J2SE is used for developing client side applications.
J2EE is used for developing server side applications.
J2ME is used for developing mobile or wireless application by making use of a predefined protocol called WAP (wireless Access / Application protocol).
All versions of java
Java Version SE 7
J2SE 1.2 is called as Dolphin and it is released on 28 July, 2011.
- Strings in switch Statement
- Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation
- Multiple Exception Handling
- Support for Dynamic Languages
- Try with Resources
- Java nio Package
- Binary Literals, underscore in literals
- Diamond Syntax
- Automatic null Handling
Java Version SE 6
J2SE 1.2 is called as Mustang and it is released on 11 December, 2006.
- Scripting Language Support
- JDBC 4.0 API
- Java Compiler API
- Pluggable Annotations
- Native PKI, Java GSS, Kerberos and LDAP support.
- Integrated Web Services.
- Lot more enhancements.
J2SE Version 5.0
J2SE 1.2 is called as Tiger and it is released on 30 September, 2004.
- Enhanced for Loop
- Typesafe Enums
- Static Import
- Metadata (Annotations)
J2SE Version 1.4
J2SE 1.2 is called as Merlin and it is released on 6 February, 2002.
- XML Processing
- Java Print Service
- Logging API
- Java Web Start
- JDBC 3.0 API
- Preferences API
- Chained Exception
- IPv6 Support
- Regular Expressions
- Image I/O API
J2SE Version 1.3
J2SE 1.2 is called as Kestrel and it is released on 8 May, 2000.
- Java Sound
- Jar Indexing
- A huge list of enhancements in almost all the java area.
J2SE Version 1.2
J2SE 1.2 is called as playground and it is released on 8 December, 1998.
- Collections framework.
- Java String memory map for constants.
- Just In Time (JIT) compiler.
- Jar Signer for signing Java ARchive (JAR) files.
- Policy Tool for granting access to system resources.
- Java Foundation Classes (JFC) which consists of Swing 1.0, Drag and Drop, and Java 2D class libraries.
- Java Plug-in
- Scrollable result sets, BLOB, CLOB, batch update, user-defined types in JDBC.
- Audio support in Applets.
JDK Version 1.1
JDK 1.1 is released on 19 januray, 1997
- JDBC (Java Database connectivity)
- Inner Classes
- Java Beans
- RMI (Remote Method Invocation)
- Reflection(introspection only)
JDK Version 1.0
JDK 1.0 is called as OAK, and it is released on 23 januray, 1996.